- A person who has purchased a motor vehicle shall file an application for a new motor vehicle registration. A motor vehicle manufacturer, seller, etc. may file an application for the new motor vehicle registration in lieu of the buyer. Any person who operates a motor vehicle without making a registration shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than two years, or by a fine not exceeding 20 million won.
How to register
- A person who intends to register a motor vehicle shall file the application with the City Hall/Provincial Office, the Si/Gun/Gu Office, or Vehicle Registration Office, or via the National Car Management Portal website (www.ecar.go.kr [Korean]).
- Alien registration certificate and copy of passport
- Application for new motor vehicle registration
- Documents proving ownership (only applicable when ownership of a newly built motor vehicle or imported motor vehicle cannot be proven)
- Certificate of manufacturer of a motor vehicle (only applicable to newly built motor vehicles)
- Import declaration certificate or certificate of import (applicable to imported motor vehicles)
- Motor vehicle inspection certificates or Motor vehicle safety inspection certificates
- Temporary operation permit (if temporary operation permission was obtained)
- Two temporary operation permit license plates (if temporary operation permission was obtained)
- Certificate of liability insurance and purchase certificate of government bonds
Reregistration of a motor vehicle for which a cancellation of registration has been made
- Documents stated above, a certificate proving the cancellation of registration, and a new inspection certificate
Registration of transfer
- If a person has purchased a used motor vehicle through a registered motor vehicle dealer, the dealer shall file an application for registration of transfer in lieu of the transferee, except in cases where such transferee wants to apply for such registration in person. Where a transferee fails to file an application for registration of transfer, a transferor may apply for such registration. Any person who fails to file an application for registration of transfer may be punished by a fine not exceeding 500,000 won.
Transfer registration period
Transfer registration period : Item, Period Item Period Purchases Within 15 days after date of purchase Donations Within 20 days after date of donation Inheritance Within six months after the last day of the month that the date of the commencement of inheritance falls on Other cases Within 15 days
How to register
A person who intends to register a motor vehicle shall file an application for the new motor vehicle registration with the City Hall/Provincial Office or the Si/Gun/Gu Office, or via the National Car Management Portal website (www.ecar.go.kr [Korean]).
※ Motor vehicle dealers shall file an application for registration of transfer in person at an office.
- A person who intends to register a motor vehicle shall file an application for the new motor vehicle registration with the City Hall/Provincial Office or the Si/Gun/Gu Office, or via the National Car Management Portal website (www.ecar.go.kr [Korean]).
- Application for registration of transfer
- Car transfer certificate (applicable to purchases only)
- Certificate of donation (applicable to donations only)
The transferor’s legal seal and certificate of personal seal impression (Applicable to the registration of transfer by purchase only. It shall be stated that the purpose of use of the legal seal in the Purpose of Use field of the certificate of legal seal is for selling a motor vehicle. In addition, the transferee’s name and resident registration number shall be written.) If falling under any of the following cases, the transferor’s certificate of legal seal does not have to be attached.
- Cases where a motor vehicle dealer or owner of a motor vehicle auction house sells or intermediates its transaction
- Cases where a transaction is directly made between a transferor and transferee and the transferor confirms the transfer of a motor vehicle in person at the relevant institution
Motor vehicle registration (except in cases where the transferor applies for registration)
※ Before making a payment, the buyer shall check with the Transportation Administration Division of the Si/Gun/Gu Office having jurisdiction over the owner’s address to determine whether the motor vehicle is to be seized due to unpaid taxes or penalties.
- A motor vehicle owner can conduct vehicle scrapping at any registered junkyard in the country. The owner shall present his/her motor vehicle registration and ID to conduct vehicle scrapping. If he/she wants to conduct vehicle scrapping through an agency (vehicle scrapping agency) instead of at a registered junkyard, he/she shall bring his/her certificate of legal seal and a power of attorney as well. Visit the Korea Auto Dismantlement Recycling
- Association website (www.kasa.or.kr [Korean and English]) to find junkyards in Seoul
- Motor vehicle registration
- A copy of the motor vehicle's registration record, issued within the past three days
- Certificate of title, sealed with the owner's legal seal
- Alien registration certificate
Jung-gu Transportation Administration Division
- Tel : 02-3396-6237
- location : Jung-gu Office Annex 1st floor Map