House on 3-24, Mukjeong-dong
Historic and Cultural Resources
- House on 3-24, Mukjeong-dong on Toegye-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul is a Japanese-style building estimated to have been built during the early days of Korea’s annexation to Japan. It is one of the last buildings of its style in Seoul and a valuable relic in terms of Korea’s architectural history.
- House on 3-24 is on 244-16, Toegye-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul and was built during the early days of Japan’s colonization of Korea. The exact date when the construction began is unclear. The home is situated between Seoul Memorial Baptist Church and Cheil Medical Clinic. As one of the very few Japanese-style homes, it has immense value as a historic building. The building is telling of the typical Japanese lifestyle of the time, combining elements of Western and Eastern homes. May Japanese-style homes are difficult to differentiate from ‘culture homes’ or Western homes built in that time. Japanese homes have evolved over the years adapting new features inspired by Western homes. Japanese homes built in the 1910s are very different from that built after the 1920s. Earlier homes had a wooden finish; the space inside the home was partitioned around the main living area. Homes built after the 1920s were strongly influenced by Western architecture; the hallway at the center of the structure meant each room had more privacy. Each home had at least one room with floor heating. The best example is the Japanese General Government Building. Many buildings from this era have steep roofs and are finished with tiles or mortar. Most modern architecture that remains in Mujeong-dong area are mostly small at two to three stories high, still used as commercial venues and homes today. Most Japanese homes were considered negative remnants of Korea’s colonial era; the homes were so completely different from the Korean homes. Hence, they were seldom considered for preservation. Very few Japanese homes from the era remain in all of Seoul, making the Home on 3-24 in Mukjeong-dong a precious piece of architectural history.
- Historic Information
- 1910(est.) Home on 3-24 is built
- Sort by Period
- Japanese Colonial Period/1910s (Presumed)
- Sort by Theme
- Road Name Address
- 244-16, Toegye-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul (3-24, Mukjeong-dong)
- Mukjeong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul
- Start Date
- 1910s (Presumed)